
Rights Groups Nominate Filipino Journalist Frenchie Mae Cumpio for UNESCO’s Guillermo Cano Prize
February 13, 2026
Israeli Forces Fire on Al Jazeera Crew in West Bank
February 13, 2026February 13, 2026 – Guatemala –
A Guatemalan judge has ordered the release of veteran journalist José Rubén Zamora from prison and his return to house arrest, a development that press freedom advocates have welcomed amid ongoing legal battles over charges widely decried as politically motivated. Zamora — founder of the independent newspaper El Periódico — had been jailed since August 2023 on charges that include money laundering, tax fraud, and money smuggling, allegations his supporters say are an effort to quell critical reporting on corruption and government misconduct.
On 12 February 2026, a Guatemalan court granted a motion by Zamora’s defence team, ruling that he should be moved from the El Infiernito detention centre to house arrest while legal proceedings continue. The decision comes after mounting pressure from international press freedom groups, diplomatic voices, and human rights organisations that have repeatedly called for Zamora’s release and fair trial.
Zamora’s supporters celebrated the ruling as an important step toward restoring his freedom while his case proceeds through the courts. As part of the house arrest conditions, he must remain confined to his home and comply with standard judicial requirements, including regular check-ins with authorities. Lawyers for Zamora said they plan to continue challenging the underlying charges, asserting that the evidence against him is weak and that the prosecution is politically motivated.
The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) welcomed the move and urged Guatemalan authorities not only to maintain Zamora’s current release conditions but to drop all charges against him. CPJ’s statement underscored concerns that Zamora’s legal ordeal reflects a broader pattern of judicial harassment used to target journalists who investigate and expose public sector corruption, especially at high levels of government.
Zamora’s case drew global attention after his arrest in 2015 on tax evasion charges, which were later dismissed, and again in 2023 on financial crimes that his defenders say lack substantiation. Over the years, international organisations, including Reporters Without Borders and Amnesty International, have criticised the charges and called for his release, citing the chilling effect on press freedom in Guatemala.
Colleagues from El Periódico and other media outlets praised the court’s decision, saying Zamora’s work has been critical in holding power to account in Guatemala. They stressed that while house arrest is not full freedom, it provides him an opportunity to regain contact with his family and legal team and to continue advocating for a fair judicial process. Advocates said the case remains a litmus test for media freedom in the region and that the international community should continue to monitor developments closely.
Reference –
Judge orders jailed Guatemalan journalist José Rubén Zamora returned to house arrest
https://abcnews.com/International/wireStory/judge-ordered-release-jailed-guatemalan-journalist-jos-rubn-130116681




